Sunday, May 8, 2011

Dave's Western Birthday Cake


This was a whole new challenge for me!! I got an email from a friend of a friend telling me that he was throwing a huge Western-themed 40th birthday party and needed a cool cake to go along with the theme. He was open to suggestions and didn't have anything specific online, so I started doing some research. Usually when I need to come up with a cake idea, I google it and come up with a whole bunch of cakes that I can draw from as inspiration. This was not the case when I googled "western cakes." Most were tiered cakes with bandana prints or big belt buckles on the side. I wasn't impressed. That is, until I saw this...


Perfect, right?! I loved it. But Dave needed a cake that would be big enough to feed 150 people, and this one saloon wouldn't quite cut it. So I decided to expand on the idea of the saloon and make a whole Western town. I think it turned out cute!! I made the buildings out of rice crispies and all of the decorations/walls/etc. out of fondant and gumpaste. I used gel food coloring as paint to make the buildings really stand out. The sand is graham cracker crumbs.

Here's a view of the saloon and general store. I named them after Dave and all things related to him and his birthday.

Here is the "40 Bottles Saloon." I love the curtains ;)

Dave's General Store.

Emerson Stables was my favorite part. I love horses! Making horse bodies out of anything edible is basically impossible (unless they're lying down, but who's ever seen a horse lying down in the middle of a bustling Western town?), so I opted to have their heads poking out of their stables. Coincidentally, this is also how I used to draw horses as a kid, because I can't draw! I'd draw their heads peaking out from the edge of the paper. Full circle moment.

Close up on Mr. Ed.

The town was celebrating Dave's birthday too ;)

And what Western Town would be complete without some Cacti??

Dave was excited to see the cake when he picked it up, and says that it was a big hit at the party!

2 comments:

  1. wonderful cake em! and yes fabulous addition to the western themed cake! woo hoo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cake ideas are just eye catching. Planning a party firstly involves budget. Then comes the list of guests and menu. Cakes and cup cakes with decorations are according to the interior and theme. And yes forgot the event space to be booked for the celebrations. Actually looking for them for couple of birthday parties next month.

    ReplyDelete