Sunday, March 27, 2011

Nate's Firetruck Cake


Since I started posting pictures of my cakes and other treats on my facebook page, I've gotten a few requests from friends that I haven't seen in a while, which is so fun. This one came from Alissa, a wonderful now-mom-of-two who I totally looked up to at summer camp every year when I was a kid. She was the super mature Junior Counselor when I was an impressionable young camper, and I just thought Alissa was the coolest. We haven't seen each other much in the intervening years, but we've kept in touch via facebook and I was so happy when she asked me to do a cake for her son Nate's 2nd birthday. Kids' cakes are always so fun to do.

Nate is a big fan of trucks. Dump trucks, garbage trucks, fire trucks, you name it, if it has a bunch of wheels and is kinda big and noisy, he loves it. Alissa gave me free reign to decide what kind of truck to feature, and since I am a fan myself of firetrucks (well...maybe I'm more interested in the firemen, but their trucks are cool too), I decided to go with that. I found a few great inspirational pictures on the internet, Alissa and I decided on one to base the cake on, and here is the result!! It was one of the funnest cakes I've worked on so far. The skills I learned playing with FIMO clay as a kid came in handy for making the fireman, hydrant and the truck. So fun. I delivered the cake this morning and Nate loved it!! He kept pointing at the cake and saying "Firetruck!" and "Look, the man!" I was thrilled with his reaction. Here are some more pictures...

Here's a good view of the whole thing. I liked using a big cake board to set the scene.


This cutie-patootie fireman is squelching those flames!


Look at this stud. Maybe I should have made him wink.


Fire hydrant. Can't fight a fire without one!


The firetruck= the star of the show!


Side view


And don't forget about the ladder!

All in all I think this is one of my best cakes ever, and it was also one of the most fun to make. Thanks, Alissa, for the project, and Happy Birthday, Nate!!





4 comments: