Sunday, March 27, 2011

Rugby Groom's Cake

I love the idea of a Groom's cake. We girls love weddings so much and often end up creating the day of our dreams without letting the groom pick too many of the details, so the idea of surprising our men with a special, manly cake of their very own is a trend that I'm glad is picking up steam in this part of the country. Groom's cakes have long been popular in Europe and the American South, so why not L.A?

I was thrilled to get a request from Alexis, a friend of mine from high school, to do a groom's cake for her soon-to-be-hubby Mitchell. They were using their venue caterers to do the main wedding cake, and they had decided on a vanilla cake in hopes of pleasing the most guests. Mitchell loooooves chocolate (smart man), so he was feeling a bit disappointed about his only dessert option at the wedding. His loving bride decided that she wanted her hubby to have the chocolate his heart so desired, so she asked me if I could do a super chocolatey cake for him. In terms of design, he's a huge fan of rugby and specifically New Zealand's team, the All Blacks, so she wanted to honor that in his cake. I ended up making a dark chocolate cake with a chocolate chocolate chip filling, covered in fondant and decorated with a team rugby ball, a rugby goal post and the team logo, a white feather.

Mitchell loved the cake!! I can't wait to see the professional pictures their photographer took since I had to take mine at night and it just didn't do the cake justice. But for now, at least you can get a sneak peak!

No comments:

Post a Comment